The Mystery of Meaning by Extension
- "Adherence." Of two blocks of wood that have been glued together, and also adherence to a creed.
- "Arousal." From sleep, or carnal arousal.
- "Cement." See "adherence." The pieces of a plastic model airplane, or a relationship.
- "Collective." All things taken together, or a political subset sharing (often unorthodox) views.
- "Detachment." An ability to see things from above as it were, with objectivity, but also a military unit carved off for separate assignment.
- "Fire" (as a gun). This historical. There was a time when a match was used to create a fire that set off the gunpowder charge in a cannon. Now we can say as well that one of the Wallendas was "fired," hydraulically, from a gun in the circus.
- "Pattern." A template or a design that repeats itself. But, by extension, there may not be much commonality in the things that are said to "fit the pattern." A landing pattern, for example, can scale up radically, but always a downwind leg, followed by a 90 deg turn onto a base leg, followed by a 90 deg turn onto the final approach, which is followed by touchdown.
- "Unraveling." What does the unraveling of a tangled rope have in common with the unraveling of a politician caught with his hand in the till, or with both hands on some uninvited body parts?
Our ability to expand the edges implies that meaning is not discrete.
Post a Comment